A private hearing is scheduled for Jan. 6 at the L.A. City Attorney’s office to determine whether criminal charges will be filed against the massive 901 Strada Vecchia project in Bel-Air being designed by Mohamed Hadid.
The Courier has learned that the hearing was referred to City Attorney Mike Feuer by the L.A. Department of Building and Safety over violations that have come to light over the past year at the nearly 30,000 square foot home. Permits were pulled at the site earlier this year when LADBS determined major unpermitted work had been done at the site.
In December, LADBS determined that more illegal work had been done over the Thanksgiving holiday, violating an existing Stop Work Order.
L.A. City Attorney spokesman Frank Mateljan said Hadid is one of the respondents expected to appear at the hearing.
He called the hearing a “prefiling hearing” to advise the property owner of what must be done to avoid misdemeanor criminal charges being filed.
“Once we have an opportunity to speak with the parties involved and give them a clear picture of what we see as violations and what steps they need to take to get into compliance, usually the folks have a sort of lightbulb that goes off,” Mateljan said. “It’s generally very successful and efficient.”
Hadid’s attorney Ben Reznik told The Courier he believed the code sections being cited in the hearing notice are “irrelevant” and that he looked forward to being able to show the project has “all the permits, and all the inspections needed to move forward.”